We recently teamed up with Bob’s Red Mill to get creative in the kitchen with their new gluten-free, plant-based protein powders and am so excited to share this new recipe with you! Inspired by my Fluffy Blueberry Protein Pancake recipe, I developed this protein-packed Vanilla Protein Pancake and Strawberry Syrup recipe using Bob’s Red Mill vanilla protein powder. Made from pea powder, the protein powder is gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian-friendly, jam packed with protein, fiber, and omega-3s, and is only sweetened with monk fruit extract and natural flavors. For an added bonus, it has chia seeds and probiotics too.
If you’ve taken a close look at most protein powder labels, they are often loaded with added sugars or artificial sweeteners and tons of corn-based ingredients. I stayed away from most protein powders for years because they all made me feel like crap, so I’m happy to add Bob’s Red Mill protein powders back into the rotation to fuel my summer fitness routine.
Here are a few tips for finding a high quality protein powder:
- Read the label. And then read it again. Even if the label says “naturally flavored,” there’s still a chance it has corn-based or artificial ingredients in it. If there’s a word you can’t pronounce on the ingredient list, look it up before committing to it.
- Look for protein powder that dissolves easily. Unless you want a chunky protein shake, consistency is important. When in doubt, go with something flavorless and protein-packed such as Great Lakes Gelatin because it will dissolve easily in hot or cold beverages.
- Pay attention to omega-3 content. In most standard American diets, we are getting WAY too many omega-6’s and not nearly enough omega-3’s, causing an imbalance in our body (and many consequential health issues). Pay attention to the omega-3 and omega-6 content in the product and aim for something that’s rich in omega-3’s.
Although I’m using vanilla protein today, usually dark chocolate protein is my favorite, I just thought vanilla would go best with this pancake recipe. These Vanilla Protein Pancakes work great as a post-workout meal since they have high quality fats, proteins, and carbs. Also, they taste like birthday cake so it feels like a seriously indulgent treat! Naturally sweetened with the protein powder, a bit of maple syrup, and strawberries in the topping, these pancakes will not leave you with a sugar crash afterwards which is another added bonus! For more awesome pre and post workout meals and snacks, check out our Guide to Pre and Post Workout Meals here which you can snag for $9.99.
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup Bob's Red Mill vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped and stems removed
- 1.2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tbsp butter
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients for the pancakes (tapioca flour, coconut flour, protein powder, baking soda, baking powder, and sea salt). Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together remaining pancake ingredients. Once combined, add to the large bowl with the dry ingredients.
- Whisk everything together until the batter is smooth.
- Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once pan is hot, add 2 tbsp of batter for each pancake. Add 3-4 small pancakes to the pan (depending on pan size).
- Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side (until golden brown) and then flip over to cook the other side. Repeat until all of the batter has been used.
- To make the strawberry syrup, heat butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped strawberries and honey or maple syrup. Bring to a low boil and then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes, until strawberries are soft and juicy.
- Serve pancakes with strawberry syrup and butter.
More breakfast recipes!