This is the third and final post in my series with Enjoy Life Foods. Check out the other two posts for more recipe inspiration: Sweet and Salty Chocolate Dipped Pineapple and Chocolate Trail Mix No Bake Cookies.
Lately I have switched up my morning/daily routine and am trying to find the best time to squeeze in a workout. I recently read Gretchen Rubin’s book, Better Than Before, which talked about using major life changes as an opportunity to rejigger habits and set new routines. Since making the transition to pursuing school full-time and working as a freelancer, I am loving the thought of using this as a great opportunity to set out a new schedule.
In an ideal world I’d like to workout first thing in the morning, but lately that has not been working for me. Instead, I am finding that I prefer to have an hour or two to ease into my day and have a small snack before hitting the gym. It does vary everyday though, depending on what type of workout that I do and if I’m going to a class, teaching a spin class, etc. Basically right now my schedule varies every day but I’m aiming to have a bit more consistency once I sort it out! When do you like to workout? Any tips from morning gym rats out there? I’d love to hear how you do it!
When I fit it a trip to the gym mid-morning, I am in need of a quick and easy snack afterwards that will tide me over until lunch. These Trail Mix Energy Bites are just the solution! Enjoy Life Foods sent me a sample of the Beach Bash Seed & Fruit Mix which I used for this recipe, although any of your favorite trail mix will do. I love this particular mix because it’s just fruit and seeds (no nuts) so it’s a bit lower in fat and protein which seems to work well for me as a post-workout snack. Also, it’s allergen-friendly so if you’re looking for a great product free of gluten, nuts, dairy, soy, etc., definitely check it out! Note that I also used Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides because it’s a great source of unflavored protein powder, which I prefer. Most other protein powders tend to overtake the flavor of whatever they are added to which is why I generally avoid using them in recipes.
In the meantime, if you like the recipe make sure to stay tuned for our Guide to Pre- and Post-Workout Meals ebook which will be available later this month. We worked really hard on developing it to bring you 35+ pre- and post-workout meals and snacks that are easy and can accommodate your schedule, as well as sample meal plans and grocery lists. Subscribe to our newsletter to stay in the know!
- 1 1/2 cups Enjoy Life Beach Bash Fruit & Seed Mix
- 1/2 cup sun butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut + 1/4 cup extra for topping
- 1-2 scoops Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides (or protein powder of choice)
- Add all ingredients to a blender (except for the extra 1/4 cup shredded coconut) and blend on high for 30 seconds, until everything is chopped up.
- Place the mixture in the fridge and chill for 20-30 minutes, until the dough hardens a bit.
- Once chilled, remove from the fridge and form dough into 12-1 inch balls. Roll each ball in shredded coconut and set aside.
- Store in the fridge or freezer until ready to eat.
- Swap out the Fruit & Seed Mix and the sun butter for trail mix and nut butter of choice, if desired.
More pre- and post-workout snacks here!