Happy Tuesday everyone!! Did everyone have a good Labor Day weekend? Nothing very exciting here but I did get a lot of good time in the gym on Saturday. This coming weekend I’m competing at The Granite Games so one of my teammates and I got together to workout together and practice some of the moves! Then I stuck around for strength class because I haven’t been in forever and I miss lifting all the things!
One of the other things I participated in this weekend was a memorial WOD (workout of the day) at a local gym who lost a dear friend, coach and all around amazing person. She passed away last Monday and in her honor, the gym dedicated their Labor Day WOD to her. The community outreach was simply amazing and gyms all over the world participated. The WOD was not only to help honor her memory but to raise awareness about suicide prevention. Though I didn’t know Becky really well, I had met her many times and I can’t say enough good things about her. She truly was an awesome person. If you are interested in helping in any way, there are a few options. To help her family with the costs, click here. To donate to the wounded warrior project, click here. To help support the prevention of suicide, click here or here. All help is appreciated. This is just a reminder that you never know what someone is going through and to make sure you reach out to those you love!
Since I had plenty of time this weekend, I got to come up with a new recipe for you guys! I love meatballs. They’re perfect for a snack or can make the perfect addition to some zoodles. I made this batch for a pre-workout snack this week. Hope you guys enjoy these thai chicken meatballs as much I do!
- 1# ground chicken
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup salsa (I used green mountain gringo roasted chile pepper)
- 1/4 cup sunflower butter
- 1/2 tbsp tamari
- 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- Put everything but the ground chicken and olive oil in a mixing bowl and combine.
- Depending on your sunflower butter, you may need to get a better mix on this. I put mine in a smoothie cup and blended it using my ninja.
- Combine the mixture with the ground chicken, making sure it gets fully incorporated.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add about your olive oil. Portion your chicken out into tbsp size balls.I found it helpful to scoop it out with a tablespoon right into the skillet.
- Work in batches, rotating the meatballs as they brown. Cook on all sides, about 6-8 minutes.
- If you like more heat, add some cayenne pepper to the mix or a hotter salsa!