Christmas is in the air and I’m so excited for all the holiday things. From the music to the tree decorating to spending time with loved ones, I love everything about this time of year. I have to say though, my favorite part is all the baking and gift giving, which is what inspired this Sweet & Salty Christmas Tree Bark.
Growing up, my mom and I had the tradition of baking Christmas goodies together every year. We would make five or six different types — Hershey Kiss Cookies, Russian Tea Cakes, Chocolate Covered Pretzels, “Painted” Cookies, and more — and give them away to friends and family as gifts. Crafting up a colorful, tasty plate of these handmade treats to share with loved ones was a favorite tradition and while I no longer make those recipes, I’m happy to recreate it with a real food twist. These days, I opt for rich desserts filled with dark chocolate and paleo-friendly nuts or berries so that anyone in my life, regardless of their food preferences, can enjoy it.
This Sweet & Salty Christmas Tree Bark combines a few simple ingredients to make one powerfully delicious treat. Pistachios, cranberries, dark chocolate, and sea salt, are my go-to mix-ins for this easy bark, but you can easily swap out pistachios for a salty nut of choice and opt for an alternate dried fruit in place of cranberries if preferred. For an easy and thoughtful DIY gift, package the Sweet & Salty Christmas Tree Bark in a cute box with a bow tied around it. Note to store the bark in the freezer until you gift it as it melts easily. Also, be sure to place parchment paper in between layers of the treats so that they don’t all clump together.
- 1 10-oz bag of Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chunks (or equal amount of favorite dark chocolate, broken into chunks)
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup pistachio nutmeats
- Sea salt, to taste
- In a small pot, melt the dark chocolate chunks over medium heat until smooth, stirring constantly. This will take approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pour the melted chocolate onto the parchment paper. Using the back of a spoon or a spatula, spread the melted chocolate into an even layer. The chocolate will cover most of the bottom of the pan, but not all of it.
- Sprinkle the dried cranberries and pistachios on top of the chocolate, making sure to spread evenly throughout the chocolate.
- Top with a dash of sea salt to taste.
- Store in the freezer for at least one hour to set. Once ready to serve, break apart into pieces (size as desired).
- Store in the freezer for 1-2 weeks. Best served cold.
- Use parchment paper to separate each layer of chocolate bark so that they do not stick together. Store in the freezer until ready to serve.
More festive desserts!