While one of my all-time favorite desserts in the summer is simply a bowl of fresh fruit, I do love a good pastry and any excuse to bake. After spending Saturday morning wandering the Portland State University farmer’s market and picking up tons of delicious produce, I set out to whip up something new and delicious.
This Strawberry Galette is the perfect summer dessert as it the crust is just slightly sweet and the fresh strawberries make this dish extra refreshing and delicious. The almond flour and tapioca-based crust make this dessert paleo and gluten free and extra dense and buttery. It’s easy to make (just give yourself enough time to let the dough set for at least an hour before baking) and can be adjusted to include any fruit you desire. If you want to eliminate the added sugar altogether (although it’s minimal – just 1 tbsp total), you can rely just on the fruit for added sweetness and flavor.
A Strawberry Galette will make the perfect addition to your next summer picnic or weekend brunch, and will please any crowd (they might not even know it’s paleo). Enjoy!
And in the meantime — while you’re contemplating this recipe, make sure to check out our Guide to Healthy Living (a free ebook download) for 10+ tips and swaps to make healthy changes in your life that are so easy you can get started today!
- 1½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 6 tbsp cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 quart strawberries, washed, stems removed, and chopped
- 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 egg, whisked
- In a food processor or blender, prepare the crust by combining the flours, sugar, salt, and butter. Pulse until the mixture is the texture of a course meal, being careful not to over-mix the dough. This should take 30 seconds or so.
- Next, add in the egg and use your hands to mix everything together. Form a ball with the dough and place inside of a ziplock bag or plastic wrap. Chill in the fridge for at least one hour (or overnight).
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375F.
- Roll out the dough in between two pieces of parchment paper, forming a circle at least 9-10" across. (You want the dough to be thick enough to hold the filling inside.)
- Prepare the filling in a medium bowl by tossing together the strawberries, maple syrup (or honey), vanilla extract, and tapioca flour. Place the filling in the center of the dough, approx 2" away from the edge.
- Gently fold the edge of the dough (like a pizza crust), being careful that it does not break.
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl and brush the edges of the crust. Let it sit for 2-3 minutes, then place it on a baking sheet and into the oven.
- Bake at 375F for 30 minutes, until crust is light golden brown.
- Serve with Coconut Whipped Cream if desired (recipe at: wholehealthhacks.com/coconut-whipped-cream)
More strawberry recipes!