I go through my phases with meat and lately I have not been super into chicken. Maybe it’s the fact that I’m a former vegetarian and chicken was the first thing I ate when I transitioned to a paleo lifestyle so I’ve eaten plenty of it the past few years (read more about that here), but honestly, these days I’d rather have beef or turkey before eating chicken. You can probably tell from all of the recent recipe posts that feature pork (like this Spicy Chorizo Frittata or these Slow Cooker Pork Tacos) that I’m in a bit of a meat rut so I figured it was time to switch things up!
I challenged myself to come up with a chicken recipe that would pack in tons of flavors and leave me feeling satisfied after eating it, so this Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Chicken was invented. Since I LOVE anything with the combo of artichokes, sundried tomatoes, and pesto, I figured I couldn’t go wrong. Mixed together with fresh spinach and mushrooms, the veggies and pesto add a delicious flavor and healthy fats to the chicken that is bold, satisfying, and leaves you wanting seconds (if you have room for it). I served this for a hearty Sunday dinner alongside roasted broccoli and gluten free orzo which was a tasty combination. I think this dish would pair well with any combination of veggies and/or carbs based on whatever you’re craving.
In the meantime, if you’re on the Whole Health Hacks mailing list then you know we’re about to launch our Guide to Pre and Post Workout Meals in the coming days. We are SO excited to share 35+ recipes, meal plans, and grocery lists to fuel your fitness routine this summer and will send a note to our subscribers as soon as the book is available to purchase. Subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss out!
- 2 lb chicken breast (boneless, skinless)
- 1/3 cup mushrooms
- 1/3 cup artichoke hearts
- 1/3 cup sundried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 2 cups fresh spinach, washed and chopped
- 2 tbsp pesto
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a blender or food processed, add the mushrooms, artichoke hearts, and sundried tomatoes. Pulse a few times to chop up the veggies, being careful not to puree. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan. Once hot, add chopped spinach.
- Saute 4-5 minutes until wilted. Remove from heat and add to mushroom/artichoke/tomato mixture. Mix in 1 tbsp pesto. Set aside.
- Prepare the chicken by cutting a deep slit lengthwise in each piece. (This is for the filling.) Brush each piece generously with olive oil and a pinch of sea salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in a saucepan over medium heat. Brown each side for 3-5 minutes. Chicken will not be 100% cooked through, but should be golden brown on the outside. Set on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Stuff each piece of chicken with 3-4 tbsp of filling. Set any remaining filling aside to serve with the chicken.
- Bake chicken at 375F for 20-30 minutes, until a thermometer reads 165F or there is no pink in the middle.
- Pairs well with rice or cauliflower rice as a side dish.
How about these tasty chicken recipes for easy dinners!