Chilly days have me craving easy and hearty meals. One of my recent favorites is Slow Cooker Pork — a dish I usually make on Sunday afternoon to have for breakfast, lunch, and dinner throughout the week. While I love a delicious decadent and complicated meal, I absolutely love the ease of throwing together meat, spices, and broth into the slow cooker and volia! — a few hours later, dinner is served. The best part? Leftovers for the entire week!
I started using a slow cooker a couple of years ago — right around the same time that I dove into the paleo lifestyle — and believe that this is one of my best kept secrets. It’s super easy, nearly effortless, and can produce mass quantities of food for the whole week. I mean, who wouldn’t want to use it?! I regularly get asked about meal planning while following a clean eating lifestyle, and keeping it simple, preparing extra (for lots of leftovers), and sticking to 1-2 proteins per week are my top three tips. Luckily, a slow cooker fits the bill for all of these!
This Slow Cooker Pork is a staple in our house not only for its yum factor, but for its versatility too. Here are a few of my favorite meal combinations:
- Breakfast: Load up a roasted sweet potato with pork and hollandaise sauce from Juli Bauer’s Paleo Cookbook, and top with chives.
- Lunch: Toss together greens (half spinach and half arugula), 1/2 diced pear, pork, and a handful of crushed pecans. Serve with Honey Mustard (recipe here).
- Dinner: Serve on top of Twice Baked Acorn Squash. Seriously, you won’t regret it.
- 1 lb boneless pork tenderloin
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Place pork in the slow cooker.
- Poke a few holes in both sides of the pork.
- Separately, in a small bowl, mix together the garlic powder, sea salt, paprika, and chili powder.
- Rub spice blend on both sides of pork.
- Top with chicken broth. Cook on slow heat for 6-7 hours.
- Once done, shred the pork with two forks. Enjoy!