Spring has finally arrived (hooray!) which means it’s time to lighten up meals and incorporate more fresh veggies. While I love winter for hearty soups and warm dishes, I often miss raw vegetables and salads at the dinner table. At a recent family get-together, I brought my favorite kale salad with shredded carrots, dried cranberries, walnuts and red onion. What I love about this recipe is it’s dairy free, easy to make, and does not require dressing because of the flavorful orange and white balsamic combo. In the summer, I’ll often make a huge batch on Sunday and eat it everyday for lunch; its so yummy!
One quick tip: I recommend using a metal bowl to make and store the salad in. Typically I just cover it with aluminum foil and find that it keeps in the fridge for 4-5 days without getting soggy.
- 3 bunches of kale, stems removed and finely chopped
- 1 orange
- 1 tbs olive oil (sometimes I use 2-3 tbl for extra moisture)
- 3-4 tbs white balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts or pecans
- 2 shredded carrots
- 1/2 finely chopped red onion
- Soak the kale in cold water.
- Spin in salad spinner to dry.
- Ensure all stems are removed and kale is finely chopped.
- Place in bowl and add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Squeeze the juice from the orange, add the olive oil and white balsamic vinegar.
- Mash with hands for a couple of minutes until kale is soft.
- Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Dig in!