I love the fresh flavors and crunchy texture of Vietnamese food. The combination of raw carrots, cucumber, and peanuts, atop grilled chicken, rice noodles and cabbage is one of my all-time favorite meals. When I worked in the Financial District (in San Francisco), I regularly visited Out the Door in the Ferry Building for the chicken vermicelli salad. It’s flavorful, not too expensive, and a gluten-free friendly option.
Inspired to recreate a similar meal with a heartier peanut sauce instead of fish sauce, I developed a Crunchy Veggie & Chicken Stir Fry for dinner. For those that follow along @wholehealthhacks on Instagram, you may know that on Sunday, I spent some time prepping meals for the week. This included salads, a giant omelet, sweet potato fries, roasted asparagus and chicken. Full disclosure – because of this, I was able to easily throw together the asparagus and chicken, in addition to a few other veggies from my fridge for this recipe, and topped it with an easy peanut sauce. Voila – easy Crunchy Veggie & Chicken Stir Fry! Fridge-to-table in less than 15 minutes. Developing the entire recipe (including the chicken) probably takes closer to 45 minutes total cook time.
In any case, I love the way it turned out and hope you do too. Share your Crunchy Veggie & Chicken Stir Fry photos on Instagram and tag @wholehealthhacks for a chance to be featured in a roundup blog post. In the meantime, enjoy the meal!
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Cooked and sliced chicken breast (I typically roast chicken on 350F for 30 minutes, lightly seasoned with sea salt, pepper & olive oil)
- Cooked veggies (I opted for asparagus — roasted at 350F for 15 minutes, in addition to pan-fried bell peppers and onions)
- 1/3 cup raw cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 raw carrot, shredded
- Cooked white rice (optional)
- 4 tbsp crunchy nut butter of choice (I’m OK with peanut butter, but many following a paleo/Whole 30 approach may prefer almond butter)
- 4 tbsp coconut aminos
- 5-6 drops of fish sauce (FYI, fish sauce tends to be very salty so err on the side of less and add more to taste as desired)
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- Heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil in a pan on the stove. Add sliced chicken breast and chopped, cooked veggies to the pan. Heat for 3-5 minutes, until chicken and veggies are warm throughout. While food is heating, chop the cucumber and carrot.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the ingredients for the peanut sauce.
- Microwave for 45-60 seconds until mixture begins to melt.
- (Optional -- If you prefer, add the peanut sauce directly into the chicken/veggie mixture in the pan to heat throughout. I prefer to keep it separate and use it as a dipping sauce.)
- Once everything is heated to desired temperature, place into serving bowls and enjoy.
- Serve over white rice if desired.