Memorial Day weekend kicked off the “unofficial” start of summer which means it’s time for salads in every size, shape, and color! I love a hearty salad but I tend to eat less of them during the cooler months, gravitating more towards warmer meals (or let’s be honest, anything that can be whipped up in a crockpot). Now that all of the amazing summer produce is in season, I’m feeling much more inspired to pull together a variety of colorful fruits and veggies for a hearty meal.
Today’s Shrimp Spring Roll Salad came about because of my craving for shrimp spring rolls last week. This salad is basically a deconstructed version of a shrimp spring roll, featuring tons of crunchy veggies, delicious shrimp, and a flavorful Asian dressing to top it off. It can be served on top of rice (white rice or cauliflower rice) if more carbs are desired, or even topped with a few slices of avocado for some added healthy fats.
If you’re stuck in a salad rut, try out these tips for switching up your routine and taking advantage of all of the amazing produce currently in season:
- Recreate one of your favorite meals. Whether it’s a burrito, sushi, or a burger, start by envisioning the components of your favorite meal. Remove the bread, tortilla or bun and “deconstruct” whatever is inside of the meal. If it’s a burger, for example, place a cooked patty on a bed of greens, topped with tomatoes, pickled onions, and avocado for a hearty and satisfying “burger salad.”
- Get colorful. When it comes to tasting the rainbow, find inspiration in all of the colors. Challenge yourself to check out the produce at your local grocery store or farmer’s market and pick 4-5 veggies that are each a different color. Add in your favorite protein and boom – you have a beautiful, Instagram-worthy salad.
- When all else fails, use math. OK, so it’s not actually math but this simple salad equation is a good standby when you don’t know what to serve. Pick one from each category:
- Greens (spinach, romaine, arugula, kale, or a mix) +
- Crunchy veggie (cucumbers, peppers, carrots, celery) +
- Protein (shredded chicken, hard boiled egg, crispy bacon, shrimp, etc) +
- Something sweet (raisins, dried cranberries, green apple slices) +
- Something crunchy (sunflower seeds, sliced almonds, sesame seeds, walnuts, shredded coconut) +
- Something smooth (avocado, tomatoes, cheese if you can tolerate it)
- = a delicious salad, every time!
What are your go-to salad combinations? Share in the comments below!
- 1 lb shrimp (deveined and tails removed)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of sea sat
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large cucumber
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 1 bag romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime
- 14 cup sesame oil
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (soy sauce substitute)
- 3-4 drops of fish sauce
- Juice of 2 limes
- Lime wedges
- Sesame seeds
- Wash and chop the red bell pepper, cucumber, carrots, romaine lettuce, and cilantro. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add shrimp and cook for 7-8 minutes, until pink.
- Add a pinch of sea salt, juice of 1 lime, garlic powder, and cilantro to the shrimp and mix together. Set aside.
- Prepare the salad dressing by whisking together the sesame oil, coconut aminos, fish sauce, and juice of 2 limes.
- Toss the veggies and shrimp together. Serve the salad with the dressing on the side.
- Top with additional lime juice, cilantro, sesame seeds, and/or avocado slices, if desired.