You know why I’m excited? (Aside from this Pepperoni Pizza casserole, of course)…this weekend marks the unofficial start of SUMMER! Even though the official day is a month away — the sun is peeking out, the days are getting warmer, and I’m dreaming of a trip to the Oregon Coast to explore the beaches.
Living in SF the past few years, I didn’t get much of an official season change when June hit. Weirdly, the hot season there tends to happen in late summer/beginning of fall (around September/October-ish). ALL the tourists show up in July thinking it will be hot because California, and actually it’s 50 degrees and windy. While I loved that SF was pretty mild year round, I am definitely looking forward to the Portland heat this year! (So note to you if you ever go to SF in the “summer,” take five extra jackets. You can wear one and sell the other four at a premium to the cold tourists.)
So what do you guys have planned to celebrate this Memorial Day weekend? We are heading to the Portland Rose Festival for fireworks tonight and planning a day-adventure on either Sunday or Monday depending on the weather. We’ll probably sneak in a hike and soak up some sunshine somewhere in there too! With day trips and hiking, we definitely take our own picnics and snacks. Thinking it might be a good time to pull together a picnic post for you guys!
Whether you’re planning a BBQ or a chill weekend at home, this Pepperoni Pizza Casserole just might be the perfect side dish to add to the spread. It’s tasty and filling as a full meal but would make a great side as well! Consider adding in your favorite veggies, doubling the cheese if you like it extra cheesy, or pairing with a salad if you want to squeeze in some extra greens to this hearty dish. I love pizza in all the forms and following a real foods approach, am always looking for new ways to enjoy it. I love that this dish has the satisfying flavors of pizza without the dense crust because sometimes that’s what you want! As always, if you end up making it tag us on Instagram @wholehealthhacks.
Things you’ll need for this recipe:
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, riced (or 1 bag of cauliflower rice from Trader Joe's)
- 1/4 cup pepperoni
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup cheese (optional, sub nutritional yeast if strict paleo)
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup mushrooms
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to large saucepan over medium heat. Cook cauliflower rice on medium heat for 10-12 minutes, until soft.
- While cauliflower is cooking, shred the cheese and chop the mushrooms. Set aside.
- Remove cauliflower from the heat and add to a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, add 1 tbsp olive oil and chopped mushrooms. Cook over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, until soft.
- Add the mushrooms, pizza sauce, cheese, whisked eggs, and pinch of sea salt to the mixing bowl. Mix together with the cauliflower rice, until everything is coated.
- Place in an oven safe casserole dish (9-inch pie pan works best). Top with pepperoni.
- Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes, until cheese is melty and casserole is bubbling slightly on top.
- Sub nutritional yeast for cheese if dairy-free.
More comfort food recipes!