Back in my vegetarian days, I relied on fried rice as a staple when eating out at Chinese restaurants. I have always loved the combination of scrambled eggs, veggies and flavorful sauce is one of my favorites, which inspired me to recreate a grain-free, soy-free version – Paleo Fried Rice. Also, if you follow me on Instagram you know I am obsessed with cauli rice, so I’m always looking for ways to incorporate it into my meals and recipes.
What I love most about this Paleo Fried Rice recipe (aside from the fact that it’s quick and delicious) is that it makes for a great lunch alternative to salad. I typically take my lunch to work everyday and have a tendency to get into a habit of packing salad everyday (like everyone else), so I love switching it up by adding cauli fried rice to the mix. On it’s own or as a side dish to chicken or grass-fed burgers, this is one of my all-time favorite paleo recipes.
This version is the perfect seasonal dish since it features a rainbow of summer produce including squash, zucchini, carrots, and red bell pepper. Also, you can add in your favorite protein or double the eggs to complete it a complete meal. Enjoy!
- 2 1/2 tbsp butter or avocado oil
- 1 bag cauliflower rice (or prepare your own cauliflower rice with 1 head of cauliflower)
- 1/4 white onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, washed and chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 large yellow squash, washed and choped
- 1/2 large zucchini, washed and chopped
- 2/3 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 tsp crushed garlic
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2-3 drops Red Boat fish sauce
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Dash of red pepper flakes (optional; add more if spicier flavor is desired)
- Optional: Chopped green onions (to top) and protein of choice (shrimp, chicken, etc)
- Wash and chop veggies and set aside.
- Heat butter over medium heat in a large saucepan.
- Add onion and garlic to the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add cauliflower rice and carrot to the pan. Add a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add in bell pepper and squash. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring every 1-2 minutes.
- Add in remaining spices, coconut aminos, and Red Boat fish sauce and mix together thoroughly. Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes, until veggies are well done but not mushy.
- Remove the fried rice from the pan and set aside in a large bowl.
- Next, prepare the scrambled eggs. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs. Add 1/2 tbsp butter and whisked eggs to the pan over medium heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until eggs are cooked through. Chop the scrambled eggs with a spatula to break apart into small pieces to add to the fried rice.
- Add the eggs to the rice mixture and gently stir everything together.
- Serve with chopped green onions, cooked shrimp, or shredded chicken for a complete meal.
- Swap out cauliflower rice for white or brown rice for a starchier version of this dish.
More delicious recipes!