Pomegranates really do make any dish prettier, more festive and instantly fancier. Seriously, add this Kale Harvest Salad to any dinner spread and guests will instantly think you’re so fancy and high class when in reality it takes just a few minutes to throw together and is only five ingredients (but shhh, don’t tell them that).
While I love summer for all of its bountiful produce, I think the fall harvest is pretty great too! When it comes to making a delicious salad I have a couple of simple rules:
- It has to be flavorful. I like my veggies but let’s get real, if I’m going to eat an entire bowl of them it has to be interesting.
- There has to be a crunch. Walnuts, almonds, carrots, cubed apples – you name it – there just has to be a crunch.
- The ratio has to be more toppings than greens. Again, love my greens but I’m not trying to kid anyone but eating just a bowlful of spinach. Although let’s be real I’ve probably done that before.
- It has to be mostly savory, with just a hint of sweetness. These tart pomegranate seeds do just the trick in this recipe!
This Kale Harvest Salad takes 10 minutes to make, and is so juicy and flavorful that no dressing is required. It’s best when served shortly after preparing it, but if you do want to store it and enjoy it later I recommend saving it in a metal or glass storage container (otherwise it changes texture a bit). This would make the perfect side dish to a holiday meal because it’s tasty(even the anti-veggie people will love it), full of nutrients, and is just so dang pretty!
If you’re looking for more healthy holiday recipes, check out this roundup of 30 healthy holiday recipes from around the web. We collaborated with our blogger friends to bring you everything from sweet potato casserole to pumpkin brownie trifle (yes seriously, go check that out) to make your holiday meal planning easy and delicious!
- 3 large bunches of curly kale
- Juice of 2 large navel oranges
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds (1 pomegranate)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup goat cheese (optional - sub diced avocado if dairy-free)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Wash the kale and remove stems. Chop or tear into very small pieces. The smaller the kale, the more it will absorb the flavors. Pat dry with a paper towel and set aside in a large metal bowl.
- Add in the fresh squeezed orange juice, avocado oil, sea salt, and black pepper. Use hands to massage the kale for 1 minute or so, until thoroughly coated. Kale will reduce to about half its size during this process.
- Let the kale rest and absorb the flavors for 10 minutes before tossing in remaining ingredients. Ideally, add the pomegranate seeds, walnuts, and goat cheese immediately before serving.
- Toss everything together and serve - no dressing needed. Store in a metal or glass bowl in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- For guidance on cutting a pomegranate, check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvhYj-tVTN4
More delicious fall recipes!