According to all the food trends, kale is so last year. Well guess what, I still happen to love it! While I’m not a huge fan of raw kale (unless it’s in a juice), I love the crunchy, crispy texture of sautéed kale with a bit of olive oil, sea salt, and cracked black pepper. Top it with crumbled pieces of bacon and diced shallots and boom! – you have an amazing soul-warming Kale and Bacon Salad, perfect for these chilly winter nights.
In searching for ways to get #alltheveggies into my daily meals, I have incorporated a side salad into breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This Kale and Bacon Salad is my new go-to because it’s easy (takes less than 10 minutes), is a great way to get a TON of kale packed into one dish, and obviously, because bacon.
If you’re serving it with breakfast, consider adding a poached egg on top. For lunch, pair it with your favorite protein. And for dinner, mix it in with spaghetti squash and Dairy Free Kale Pesto if you really want to lay on the kale!
- 3 slices of bacon
- 5 cups of kale, washed and stems removed
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 2 tbsp bacon grease (leftover from bacon)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Pinch of sea salt
- Cook bacon over medium heat, until desired crispiness. (I like mine extra crispy for this dish.)
- Remove bacon from pan and set aside. Save at least 2 tbsp of bacon grease in the pan for the next step.
- Add chopped shallots into the greased pan. Cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes, being careful not to burn as the bacon grease tends to burn easily.
- Next, add chopped kale. Cook for approx 5 minutes, until kale is soft and crunchy.
- Add lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt.
- Top with chopped bacon and mix everything together. Serve warm.
More salad recipes!