Portland’s weather went from 90-degrees and sunny to chilly and rainy this weekend, so pancakes were in order! The perfect comfort food on a rainy Sunday morning, these Fluffy Blueberry Protein Pancakes will leave you feeling satiated and ready to tackle the day. Normally sweet breakfast foods leave me with a sugar crash and a guaranteed afternoon nap, but the protein from the Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides I used in this recipe packs an extra delightful and filling punch without any unnecessary protein-y flavors. (By the way, if you like this recipe, make sure to subscribe to our newsletter for a FREE PDF with 3 protein-packed breakfast recipes for additional inspiration!)
I had an indulgent weekend celebrating A’s birthday because I decided to make him ALL of his favorite things including breakfast pizza, Spicy Buffalo Ribs, and Dark Chocolate Mousse Parfaits. (If you follow along on Snapchat then you got a front row seat to this deliciousness.) And then of course I had to ENJOY all of the things with him as well (I’d be quite the party pooper if I didn’t, right?!) and a couple of cocktails at a new speakeasy bar in town, Bible Club PDX last night. (You didn’t hear it from me but this just may be the coolest new spot in the city.) So needless to say I woke up today thinking it would be a good day to have a light breakfast with lots of green veggies and then realized I had blueberries in the fridge so instead, I’d make pancakes. I honestly can’t remember the last time I made pancakes so it was a total treat to whip these up. The batter itself is not very sweet because the blueberries add plenty of sugar and if you serve with maple syrup, they quickly become a decadent meal.
While the cadence of new recipes on the blog has slowed a bit the last few weeks, Katie and I have been hard at work developing a new ebook for you guys! If you subscribe to our newsletter you saw the message go out today (view an archived copy here) — our Guide to Pre- and Post-Workout Meals is now available! We have poured our hearts into 35+ pre- and post-workout meals, along with grocery lists and suggested meal plans based on what time of day you workout. During busy weeks it can be really tough to get the most out of pre- and post-workout meals and snacks, so we developed a guide to get you through it and hopefully save you time.
Things you’ll need for this recipe:
You can find most of these baking supplies on Amazon or at Thrive Market. If you use this link to sign up for Thrive Market, you’ll receive a free two-month trial! Note that some of this content contains affiliate links, which we make a small commission off of in order to keep growing Whole Health Hacks.
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1-2 scoops Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides (or protein powder of choice, ideally unflavored)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup (I used blueberry honey which is what I had on hand)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, washed
- 1 tbsp butter
- In a large bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients (tapioca flour, coconut flour, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt) together. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the eggs, coconut milk, honey, and vanilla extract. Whisk together until everything is combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together. Make sure to mix thoroughly to remove any clumps. Lastly, carefully mix in the blueberries (try to avoid crushing them when mixing in.)
- In a large saute pan over low heat, melt the butter. Add approximately 2-3 tbsp of the batter to form each pancake. A large pan should fit about 3-4 small pancakes.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown on the bottom. Flip over and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until cooked through. The pancakes are done when they are fluffy and a toothpick can be inserted without getting any batter on it.
- Repeat for each batch of pancakes until all of the batter is used up. The recipe makes about 10-12 small pancakes.
- Serve with additional blueberries or maple syrup. Enjoy!
- I use Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides for this recipe because it is unflavored and adds protein without the unpleasant taste of protein powder. Feel free to sub in your favorite protein powder, ideally unflavored or vanilla flavor. Find Vital Proteins here: http://amzn.to/1VwzEEj
More breakfast recipes!