Hello paleo peeps! We’re a week after Thanksgiving and 3 weeks from Christmas and I’m sure most of you are feeling the effects of all the food. I know in year’s past this time of year used to give me so much anxiety. What will I eat? What if I can’t control myself? Why must all the different sides of my family have dinner at the same time?! How am I going to keep up with my health and fitness goals with all this stuff? Then the case of the “fuck its” sets in and I no longer care and by New Year’s I feel like junk and forgot all of my goals or I just tell myself I can start them on the 1st. I’m sure most of us have been through that same cycle. This time of year is stressful but only as stressful as you make it. I’m here to help give you guys a few tips on how to make the holidays less stressful and keep up with your health and fitness goals.
1. Schedule breaks to work out/walk/do some physical activity
I know for me that once I get out of a routine, it’s hard to find time to workout because you haven’t scheduled the time. Since we know the holidays are a busy time of year, planning ahead is a must. If this requires waking up earlier, do it. You won’t regret it. Now some of you are probably thinking that there is literally no time in your day to work out. However what you typically think of as “working out” doesn’t have to be the same around this time of year. Maybe it’s taking a dog for a short walk, playing outside with your kids, or just using your 10 minutes of down time to walk the stairs/do some sit ups or air squats or whatever. It doesn’t matter what it is, just try to get moving! Below are a few at home workouts (WODs) you can do that are short, sweet and to the point!
- Tabata This! Total Time: 16 minutes
- Pick 4 different movements (ex: air squat, burpee, sit ups, push ups)
- Do each :20 sec on/:10 off, 8R (or 4mins/movement)
- Push Up/Sit Up Complex Total Time: 7 minute
- 3R total, 1 minute of push ups, 15 sec rest. 1 minute of sit ups, 15 sec rest. Repeat
- You can do this with any two movements! Score is total reps
- As Many Rounds as Possible (AMRAP) Total Time: 30 mins
- Work the entire 30 mins accumulating as many rounds as possible.
- Pick any movements you want; Ex: 10 burpees, 10 dumbbell rows, 10 air squats, 10 lunges (per leg), 10 push ups, 10 V-Ups)
- CrossFit gym, Holiday 5ks, etc
- If you do happen to have more time, make it into your local CF gym or any gym for that matter. Most gyms all have holiday schedules
- Grab some friends and family members and sign up for a race! There are always holiday races to sign up for!
2. Eat freely but don’t over do it
Now I don’t mean eat a whole plate of Christmas cookies. That is what we would call “over doing it” 😉 What I do mean is that if you count macros, are strict paleo or whatever, relax a little. The holidays are stressful enough as it is that you shouldn’t have to worry about what you’re eating. Again, this does not mean eat whatever you want the entire week of Christmas and leading up to New Year’s. Still be mindful but don’t freak out about eating a cookie here or there. Also if attending parties, offer to bring a paleo friendly dish. That way you know you are for sure eating something you’ll like! Below are a few ideas of paleo appetizers, sides and some cookies!
- Hazelnut Caramel Clusters from The Healthy Family and Home
- Grain Free Gingerbread Cookies from A Clean Bake
- Stuffed Rosemary Mushrooms from Fed and Fit
- Twice Baked Acorn Squash from Us 🙂
3. Don’t be too hard on yourself
This tip ties in with the first two. The main thing to remember is to not beat yourself up if you miss a workout, eat an extra cookie or even two cookies! This time of year is meant to be spent spending time with family, being thankful for what you have and reflecting on the year. While eating right and working out are a huge part of fitness and health goals, so is stress management. During this time, try to remember why you like eating right and why you like being physically active. These things should be fun and stress relievers. So if you need a day off, take one. Just don’t take the whole week! Below are some blogs/articles/podcats I love to read/listen to when I need motivation! 🙂
- Words With Lisbeth–One of my favorite bloggers/writers! She always has something interesting and motivating to say!
- Six Minutes Now for the Next Sixty Years of Your Life by Gary Vaynerchuk
- Girls Gone WOD Ep. 123 with Sam Dancer-I LOVE these girls! They are so fun and there is never a dull moment during their shows!
- Build a Badass Business by Diane Sanfilippo This woman has a way of inspiring people, it’s unreal! If you listen to any podcast, listen to this one!!
Hopefully these tips help you guys out during the holidays! Let us know your tips to help stay sane through the holidays! Tag us on Instagram @wholehealthhacks or comment below! Make sure to subscribe to our newsletter for free recipes, insider tips and up to date info on projects and giveaways!