Want to know the ultimate secret to eating healthy? Use a slow cooker!
OK, so it might not really be a secret, but slow cooker recipes really are the best way to eat healthy and work towards your health and fitness goals, especially if you don’t love making time to cook.
I’ve been using a slow cooker for years to cook everything from bone broth to basic protein to have on hand to the week to delicious meals like this Easy Slow Cooker Chili. For the past year or so it’s been a weekly tradition to make an easy slow cooker recipe on Sunday so that when we get back from the rock climbing gym, dinner is made! It’s the best! And an added bonus is the house always smells great too. It also makes it easy to pick up and go to the gym every week, knowing that when we’re hungry after climbing for a couple of hours we won’t have to come home and spend another hour making dinner. So really it kills two birds with one stone by creating the weekly climbing habit and having an easy, healthy meal on hand!
Slow cookers are a great way to cook something overnight if you want to prepare an easy grab and go lunch for the next day, prep meals for the week, make huge batches of soups, broths, and chilis, or to make an easy meal to have any day of the week. In this slow cooker chili recipe, there is about 15 minutes of cooking prep before everything is added to the slow cooker (so plan accordingly when making it). Also, I added soaked beans to the recipe for extra protein but if you’re eating strict paleo or avoiding beans and lentils, you can easily omit it without losing any flavor.
Here are a few of my favorite slow cooker recipes for more meal inspiration:
- Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili from PaleOMG
- Spicy Buffalo Ribs from Whole Health Hacks
- Slow Cooker Pork from Whole Health Hacks
- Slow Cooker Beef Bone Broth from Nom Nom Paleo
- Slow Cooker Barbacoa Tacos from Fed & Fit
During the busy holiday season, you can rely on the slow cooker for easy meals when you don’t have time to cook, or when you have tons of leftovers (such as turkey and veggies) to throw together an easy soup. For more tips on staying healthy this time of year, check out the first episode of the Whole Health Hacks podcast here!
If you’re shopping for a slow cooker, keep an eye out on Amazon for Black Friday deals. Here are links to my favorite brands and products to add to your shopping list.
Note that we may make a small commission from any affiliate links which helps us support the website and keep the blog up and running.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 lbs grass-fed ground beef
- 1-16 oz can pinto beans, soaked overnight (optional)
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 small white potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1-29 oz can tomato sauce
- 2-16 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp crushed garlic
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions and crushed garlic to the butter. Saute for 4-5 minutes and remove from heat. Add the garlic and onions to the slow cooker.
- Add 1 tbsp butter to the pot. Add ground beef and cook for 8-10 minutes, until browned. Drain excess fat from the meat.
- Once fat is drained, mix in sea salt and black pepper with the ground meat.
- Add the meat and all of the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Stir together to ensure the spices, tomato sauce, and vegetables are all coated and thoroughly mixed.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
More easy slow cooker recipes!