Heading into summer, all I want is anything that can be cooked on the grill, breezy t-shirts, and all the iced coffee. Things I’m currently loving in these categories include beachy clothing designs from my amazing friend/clothing designer Lauren, over at Hibiskiss Clothing; Thrive Market delivery for all the yummy paleo foods without leaving the comfort of my own home; and the latest droolworthy cookbook from Juli Bauer (the blogging genius and recipe mastermind behind PaleOMG) which I still can’t put down. Seriously, the parsnip fries and pizza crust are both out of this world. (BTW, if you use this link to sign up for a Thrive Market account, you’ll receive 15% off your first order!)
In an effort to feed into all of my cravings for picnic food, I developed a recipe for Paleo Crispy Chicken Tenders & Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce. Browned to perfection and crispy (just like I remember growing up) with just a slight nutty flavor, these might be your new favorite finger food. And I wouldn’t blame you at all for that. I enjoy these with spicy buffalo sauce or Primal Kitchen mayo depending on my mood, but my love for honey mustard sauce usually overtakes either of those options. These remind me of the chicken tenders I ate growing up (before my days as a vegetarian) and are great for parties, a casual Sunday night dinner, or really, any time at all. I recommend pairing with parsnip or sweet potato fries or a side salad if you’re feeling a need for greens. (For the perfect fry recipe, check out this one from PaleOMG.)
Hope you enjoy these paleo Crispy Chicken Tenders! If you’re craving more picnic foods, subscribe to our newsletter for some seriously drool-worthy summer recipes coming your way soon.
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken tenders
- 2 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut flakes
- 6 tbsp mustard (I prefer the spicy brown mustard from Trader Joe's)
- 5 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Set out two medium-sized bowls.
- In the first bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk.
- In the second bowl, mix the shredded coconut flakes and spices (sea salt, black pepper, and paprika).
- Set the bowls aside and add the ghee or coconut oil to a large pan on the stove over medium heat. While the pan is heating up, prepare the chicken tenders.
- Dipping each chicken tender one at a time, start with the first bowl and ensure the chicken is coated in the egg mixture. Next, dip it in the shredded coconut flake/spice mixture and ensure it is coated. Repeat the process for each piece of chicken.
- Add each chicken tender to the hot pan and cook 1-2 minutes on each side, until slightly browned and crispy. (NOTE: You will likely have to pan-cook the chicken in 2-3 batches to avoid overlapping the meat.)
- Once browned, transfer the chicken to a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350F for 10-15 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Heat the honey in the microwave for about 30 seconds, until slightly melted.
- Whisk all ingredients together.
- Store in the fridge until ready to serve. Stays fresh for 3-4 days.
- If you prefer, dip the chicken in spicy buffalo dipping sauce or pesto mayo instead of the honey mustard sauce. Serves great with parsnip or sweet potato fries.
More delicious chicken recipes!