I’m so excited to share this Cranberry Orange Scones recipe with you! It’s perfectly flavorful and not too sweet for your holiday brunch. I didn’t even know how much I loved scones until I tried this recipe and now, I can’t seem to get enough!
Growing up our tradition was always to have banana bread on Christmas morning (which inspired this grain free version here). While I loved that tradition and looked forward to it every year, now I prefer to have a balance of sweet and savory items on the table. It also ensures that I don’t have a mid-morning sugar crash, so there’s that too.
I love the idea of having something sweet and something savory to celebrate the holiday, which is why I paired this recipe with an Italian Sausage Breakfast Hash to balance out the flavors. The two recipes taste delicious served together (I just enjoyed them both again for the second day in a row), and pair great with a large cup of coffee.
When shopping for the recipe ingredients, I was amazed at how many products Whole Foods’ 365 brand has to offer. For these scones, I used the 365 dried cranberries, eggs, butter, and honey! All of the ingredients are high quality and affordable, so you can be sure you’re serving your guests the absolute best products.
Like I mentioned, these Cranberry Orange Scones are not too sweet and use natural sugar from the honey as the main sweetener. Paired with a bit of orange zest and fresh orange juice, the orange flavor is subtle but definitely gives it a bit of punch. The texture is a bit softer than most scones I’ve had, but still has the signature flakiness. I hope you like the recipe as much as I do!
For tips on planning a holiday brunch menu, check out this post. And in case you missed it, catch the latest episode of the podcast here. This week Katie and I chatted all about transitioning from a vegetarian to a paleo diet and would love to hear your thoughts if it’s something you’ve been through or are currently going through.
- 1 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice (about 1/2 a medium orange)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a 9" round pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together almond flour, arrowroot flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together melted butter, honey, vanilla, and egg.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Mix in the cranberries, orange zest, and fresh orange juice.
- Spread the mixture evenly into the lined pan. Bake for 25 minutes, until the top just starts to brown.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from the pan to slice and serve. Best enjoyed warm.
- Store in the fridge for up to one week.
More brunch recipes!