Growing up, my mom and I always used to make peanut butter squares for an easy and crowd-pleasing dessert. Everyone loved the combination of chocolate and peanut butter (it’s the best right?!) and the no-bake bars were always so easy to throw together at the last minute. I recently had a craving for the nostalgic treat and took a look at the recipe and could NOT believe how much sugar is in it! The recipe calls for two types of sugar (powdered sugar and brown sugar), plus chocolate chips, plus peanut butter (we always used Jiffy, which has loads of added sugar in the form of high fructose corn syrup). I decided to make a low sugar version of the dessert using paleo-friendly ingredients, including sunbutter in the place of peanut butter, which resulted in these tasty Chocolate Sunbutter Bars.
Lately I have been obsessed with sunbutter in place of other traditional nut butters in recipes, mostly because I love the taste, it’s a bit cheaper than almond butter, and I was getting tired of only relying on almond or peanut butter! I used it recently in my Trail Mix Energy Bites and Chocolate Trail Mix No Bake Cookies. I am loving it for the delicious sunflower seed flavor, healthy fats, and rich texture.
My go-to brand of baking chocolate (as always!) is Enjoy Life. The chocolate chips are allergen-free and so delicious! They melt down really easily for this recipe too, which is another great reason to love them. If you’re looking for an easy dessert to bring to your next potluck or picnic, try out these Chocolate Sunbutter Bars and let us know what you think!
You can find most of the ingredients at Thrive Market. If you sign up using this link, you’ll score a free membership trial too!
- Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Morsels
- Tin Star Foods Ghee
- Organic Vanilla Extract
- Sunflower Seed Butter
- Coconut Flour
- Coconut Palm Sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup sunflower seed butter (I prefer unsweetened and unsalted)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Place the butter on the counter for a few minutes to soften before using.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together all of the ingredients for the sunbutter layer. Use a hand mixer to beat on high for 30 seconds, until the batter is smooth.
- Once batter is finished mixing, press evenly into the bottom of an 8x8 pan. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the chocolate chips and butter over medium heat. Stir constantly to ensure chocolate does not burn.
- Once chocolate chips are fully melted (after 2-3 minutes), remove from heat. Use a plastic spatula to spread chocolate evenly on top of the sunbutter layer.
- Place in the freezer to chill for 30 minutes.
- Slice and serve, or store in the fridge or freezer to enjoy later.
- Use unsweetened, unsalted sunflower seed butter if possible. SunButter has a great product that can be found at most Whole Foods or purchased online.
Click here to pin this recipe for later:
More no bake desserts!