This Chicken and Mango Stir Fry recipe might just be my new favorite go-to meal for busy weeknights! This dinner came about on a total whim, based on what I had in the fridge while overdue for grocery shopping. By now you probably know that I love mango (see: Mango & Avocado Salad and Jerk Chicken and Mango Salsa if you need reassurance) and I absolutely love the combination of savory and tangy, so this stir fry was created! Other delicious savory and tangy combinations I love include shredded pork and pineapple tacos, pineapple and bacon pizza, or mangos thrown in with these Asian Turkey Meatballs. The best!
Another great feature of this recipe is sweet potato “noodles” that I picked up at Trader Joe’s. They are now selling all kinds of fresh produce goodies (cauliflower rice, butternut squash fries, and now these sweet potato noodles — to name a few) which makes throwing together a quick meal even easier than ever before. If you don’t have these noodles handy, consider serving the stir fry on top of cauliflower rice, plain white rice), or zucchini noodles made with a spiralizer. You can get as creative as you want here depending on what type of starchy carb you’re into!
Most of my quick dinners during the week look something like this (protein, veggies, starchy carb + sauce), and it’s usually effortless to put together because I keep some key ingredients on hand for throwing together an easy sauce. Here are my go-to products for making an easy stir fry (and making pretty much anything taste good):
You can find most of these ingredients at Thrive Market. With 2-3 ingredients from the above list, you can pretty easily pull together a sauce for stir fry, marinade for protein, or a dressing for an Asian style salad. Would you be interested in a sample list of some of my go-to sauces and dressings? Leave a note in the comments below if so!
And lastly, I have to give a shoutout to my great home city of Cleveland for the AMAZING Cavaliers win last night! As Nike put it best, it was worth the wait.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1-lb chicken tenders or chicken breast
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package Trader Joe's sweet potato ribbons (or cauliflower rice)
- 2 cups fresh spinach, washed and chopped
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, chopped
- 2 mangoes, peeled and chopped
- Sesame seeds, fresh lime wedges, and cucumber slices to garnish
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos (soy sauce substitute)
- 3-4 drops Red Boat fish sauce
- 1 tsp red chili paste
- Juice of 2 limes
- Prepare the produce by washing and chopping. Set aside.
- Prepare the sauce by whisking all of the ingredients together. Set aside.
- Chop the raw chicken into 1-inch cubes.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add in the chicken. Season generously with sea salt and black pepper.
- Cook chicken for 8-10 minutes, until it is not visibly pink. Add in the sweet potato ribbons or cauliflower rice. Cook for 6-8 minutes, until sweet potatoes/cauliflower rice begins to soften.
- While the chicken and veggies are cooking, toast the cashews in a small pan over medium heat. Toast for 4-5 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Add the chopped spinach and raw cashews to the stir fry pan. Add the stir fry sauce. Mix everything together and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, until the spinach has wilted and the stir fry is thoroughly coated with sauce. Toss mango cubes in once finished cooking.
- Serve with cucumber slices, fresh lime wedges, and sesame seeds.
- Serve stir fry on top of starchy carb of choice depending on preference -- sweet potato ribbons, cauliflower rice, plain white rice, or zucchini noodles ("zoodles") are all great options.
More chicken recipes!