Time for another episode of Candice’s Kitchen here at Whole Health Hacks where you get a sneak peek into my darkest kitchen secrets. OK, maybe not that dramatic — but in this week’s edition is all about cravings and snacks! Guess what? We all get them. And sometimes it’s a sign that your body needs a certain nutrient. Other times it might just be a sign that you haven’t eaten enough.
I’m currently tracking all of my food intake (which is exhausting, BTW! I’ve only done it for about five weeks now and give major credit to anyone who does this on the reg. It’s tough.) — with the goal of figuring out what my individual cravings mean and how I can optimize my food choices. I’ve noticed that when I’m working out more, I definitely have a spike in intense sugar, salt, and carb cravings. I’ll chalk it up to my new found addiction to rock climbing (seriously, that sport works up a sweat, or wait, maybe that’s just my terrified, sweaty palms? Not important!) which has given me a renewed sense of energy at the gym.
For several months I felt constantly exhausted and while on the one hand, it gave me a great opportunity to form a new habit of yoga several times per week, it prevented me from digging in deep into sweaty cardio workouts that I’ve enjoyed in the past. Anyway, I digress. The point is that now I enjoy bouldering and rock climbing several days per week at Portland’s Planet Granite climbing gym and am LOVING it. I also find that I need more carbs to sustain before and after the workouts hence today’s selection of mostly carb-rich food (gotta love that post-workout fuel). So, this week’s edition of Candice’s Kitchen is all about snacks.
Now that most of you are looking for sustained motivation for sticking to your 2016 fitness and food goals, hopefully this will give you some inspiration for food and drink items to keep handy for all of your cravings.
- A salty treat: Cooked in coconut oil, Jackson’s Honest Sweet Potato Chips are the cleanest chips I’ve found on the market. The ingredients include just sweet potatoes and coconut oil and the result is a salty, delicious treat. I keep these on hand to enjoy with a burger or a lettuce wrap, or just a handful when I need something salty asap. Find them at Thrive Market or your local Whole Foods or New Seasons store.
- Something satisfying: I always have a bag of Dang Foods Coconut Chips on hand! I love the original toasted coconut flavor for the simple ingredient list — just coconut and sea salt. These are amazing sprinkled on top of a salad, served with a bowl of fruit for a yummy dessert, or just enjoyed by the hand(or bag)-ful. If I need mid-afternoon fuel during a busy workday, these coconut chips are my go to snack.
- A sweet tooth: LA CROIX! I am the biggest fan of La Croix Sparkling Water and always have at least two types stocked in my fridge (usually regular/unflavored and then something fruity and fun, like Cran-Raspberry). The drink is Whole30 approved because there are only natural, fruit-derived flavors in the water and on more than one occasion, enjoying a can (or two) has spared me from indulging in something sweet. Also in case you missed it, I happen to love La Croix with raspberry gelatin gummies, as I posted in my Sparkling Berry Mocktail recipe a few weeks back.
- Post-workout noms: My newest obsession is Barnana Organic Original Chewy Banana Bites. I received a free bag of these alongside a recent Thrive Market order and am absolutely hooked! My first thought honestly was, ew, dried banana?! I am not a huge fan of the taste of bananas in general (I go through phases) but these chewy bites make for the perfect post-workout indulgence. Although not too high in sugar, they also do a mean job of satisfying a sugar craving. Oh and they come in coconut covered and chocolate covered varieties too, in case you’re feeling adventurous.
- Something bubbly: I’m not a big fan of most kombucha drinks (mostly because the added sugars give me a headache) but I finally discovered a brand that I absolutely love — Lion Heart Kombucha. It’s based here in Portland and most of the local paleo-friendly recipes even have it on tap! My favorite flavor is raspberry and I just can’t get enough. If your local store does not sell this brand, another one I’d recommend checking out is Synergy because they usually have plenty of options without added sugar. Just make sure to double check the label!
What are your favorite go-to snacks?
NOTE: Whole Health Hacks is an affiliate member of some of the sites linked and may receive a small commission for any products purchased through the links provided, which help us continue fueling the blog. Thanks for your continued support!