It has been a busy week with the launch of our latest ebook, Whole Health Hacks Guide to Pre and Post Workout Meals, prepping for a midterm for the NTC program, and gearing up for a weekend trip. When things get really busy, healthy habits can be one of the first things to fall by the wayside if you’re not prepared. Alright, let’s be honest and call it what it is — LIFE is busy. In today’s world we all have a million things on our plate, a laundry list of to do’s, and a constant stream of reminders of things we are missing out on thanks to social media. So the good news in all of this is that if you’re prepared and committed to sticking to your health and fitness goals, it IS possible no matter what your schedule looks like.
My top tips for staying on track during busy weeks (otherwise known as, managing life):
- Stock the fridge. Going into the week, take a look at your schedule and realistically assess if/when you’ll have time to make a meal and sit down and enjoy it. Whatever the case may be, make sure to load your fridge with healthy, pre-made meals (either from your own meal prepping or even store bought if necessary) to ensure that you’re reaching for something nutrient dense when you’re in a pinch. A few of my go-to meals to have on hand include salads loaded with tons of greens and hearty veggies, protein such as shredded chicken or ground meat to throw together as a “bowl” for a quick meal, and eggs to ensure breakfast, at the very least, will be a home cooked meal.
- Keep a snack (or two) at your desk, in your car, or in your bag. It’s rare that I go anywhere without at least 1-2 snacks on hand, so much so that friends and family members (lovingly) tease me about it. (When they’re hangry in between meals though, I really come through.) You never know when you’ll get stuck at work late or pulled into a last minute commitment that switches up your schedule, so keep healthy snacks handy to avoid vending machine desperation. Some of my favorites include EPIC bars and RXBAR, or our recipes such as Grainless Granola and Trail Mix Energy Bites.
- Swap happy hour for a gym date. While happy hour can be a fun time to bond with coworkers or friends, consider swapping sweat (ok, that’s gross but I liked the alliteration) at the gym instead of grabbing cocktails. It will be a much happier hour, guaranteed! Your brain and body will thank you a million times over for skipping the Gin & Juice and sweating it out instead. Disclaimer: In a coincidentally timed outing I had a cocktail or two called “Gin & Juice” at happy hour last night so I’m eating my words as I type this.
If you guys like these tips let us know and we can share plenty more! We love sharing insight and advice for busy people (that’s what we do here, after all), so always happy to touch on this topic if it’s of interest. And in the meantime, check out our Life Hacks column for more fun hacks and advice!
Alright, now let’s talk about this Berry Parfait! It’s perfect for the summer months (featuring all of the delicious berries you can find at the farmer’s market this time of year) and is a great crowd pleaser. Naturally sweetened with just the fruit and a tiny bit of maple syrup in the Coconut Whipped Cream, the parfait will leave your sweet tooth satisfied without feeling the gross “sugar hangover” from eating a junky, sugar-filled dessert. I LOVE this time of year for all of the amazing produce in season at the market and this Berry Parfait is a great excuse to create a beautiful, delicious dessert inspired by the season! Make a huge batch for your next cookout or pin this one for later for your July 4th BBQ inspiration!
- 1 batch of Coconut Whipped Cream (wholehealthhacks.com/coconut-whipped-cream)
- 1 pint of fresh strawberries, washed and stems removed
- 1 pint of fresh blueberries, washed
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Make the Coconut Whipped Cream and set in the fridge to chill.
- Slice the strawberries. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or individually sized bowls or glasses, portion out the parfait. Layer the berries with one layer of blueberries, one layer of strawberries, one layer of sliced almonds, and repeat until filled. Top with Coconut Whipped Cream as desired.
- If you'd like a creamier version of this dessert, layer the Coconut Whipped Cream throughout the parfait.
More delectable fruity recipes!